Friday 24 August 2012

Today I have been mostly hanging on the end of a Rope

Sorry, I lied - but there is a half-truth.

Today I had to take a look at a Cliff Ledge above Jamestown, having been advised by my Rockguard Team that it was probably accessible without Ropes, they suggested that I was probably better off using one. Now, in the UK, I  would not be allowed to go anywhere near a harness, rope and all the metal clip gizmo's without some proper training, a fully qualified expert supervising and goodness knows what else. In St Helena, you'll be pleased to hear, it's much the same. I had an extensive safety briefing (lasting less time than it took to put the harness on), from 2 of the 4 best Rope Experts in the Country, and then was talked down the cliff to the ledge we were looking at with one of them following on another Rope.

Spending a few minutes, or more, doing the inspection and taking a lot of photos I then had to climb back up. Now in the UK (when I've done rock-climbing for fun) they don't let you use the rope to get up, but here I was given a special tool, called an Ascender (I think), which I could use to pull myself up the rope. It was very much like abseiling, but going up. Now THAT's the way to climb, forget this hole finding handholds business, use a rope to walk yourself up the rock!

The things being a Roads Manager forces me to do. Have I mentioned that I Love My Job?

Ok, so I'm not red, the rope wasn't blue, and it wasn't tied in a bow at either end, but you get the picture (if you don't try refreshing your browser window). Oh, and the buildings aren't that small/I'm not that big. If you're unsure how this relates, check out the photos at http://www.malpas.cwi.sh/030.html (and you'll realise I didn't go very far!)

No comments:

Post a Comment