Sunday 24 June 2012

Twas a Cold and Frosty Morning...

Well any self respecting weather system would have produce frost - it is middle of winter. I don't care that it was probably about 15C, it was cold and I was wondering why I was up at 8am. Well actually, I wasn't wondering why I was up, I was going Diving, but I was thinking that it was a daft thing to be doing on such a cold day.

Yesterdays dive was at Egg Island, quite a long way down the coast, further than I'd been before (I think). From the boat you could see the Horizon quite distinctly, and unlike the normal horizon (which is pretty flat) it was Jagged. To start with it looked like a flotilla of small boats, then when I realised they disappeared and reappeared I realised it was waves. Big Waves. Very Big Waves. Always looking at the same coastline (Jamestown) it feels like the South Atlantic is quite a clam peaceful ocean, but seeing those waves showed that actually we're lucky the island Shelters the waters we use.

Stepping off a Cliff

Anyway, the dive was different from other dives I've done as it wasn't really a bottom dive. We started in the shallows right by the island and then moved out into slightly deeper water, then came to a small Gorge, the bottom of which was about 25m, as I'm only a beginner I'm only qualified to 18m so I didn't follow the others down and swam over the top. Then a little further on we got to what looked like the end of the sea mountain forming St Helena (I suspect it wasn't). I was already at 18m and couldn't resist standing on the edge of the cliff and stepping ofJ.

There were lots of Cameras on the dive - hopefully I'll get some photos to post. For now you'll have to live with this one of the RMS.


No comments:

Post a Comment