Tuesday 24 July 2012

Radio Star Take 2

I've just returned from my second live interview on national Radio. A fair performance I think, but no doubt I made a boo-boo which someone will point out when I go into work tomorrow.

Half an hour of me talking almost non-stop, quite fast (except when I paused to allow the interviewer to ask another question) and I only covered a third of my notes. It almost feels like I know what I'm talking about! (I hope it sounds that way as well).

I have been meaning to post more often, but feeling a little too lazy. Sorry. But here's some more thoughts on my Job.

All throughout my career I've been looking for the next step on the ladder: Engineer, to Acting Senior Engineer, to Senior Engineer, to Principal Engineer, to Area Traffic Engineer, to Neighbourhood Team Leader, to Roads Manager. I've always opened Surveyor (magazine) at the back first (for the job adverts) and thought about the 'Highway Network Manager - Edinburgh c£80k pa' type role I may eventually get to. After the last RMS in June I received 3 Surveyors all together and looked through the various adverts in the back (including the one above) and thought, naah, don't want that.


Over the weekend I looked at a few websites to see what jobs were out there in the big wide world (well the UK) and only came across one that really sparked any interest: 'Infrastructure Engineer - Shetland  c£25k pa'. I actually really like my job. No, I REALLY like my job. It's jolly hard work, and it gets stressful, and I can see a whole host of problems ahead, but it is by far the best job I've ever had and I suspect the best job I ever will have.


I'm actually dreading the end of my contract when I'll have to get a 'proper' job again. Maybe I'll apply for an Operatives job in the Roads Section...

No comments:

Post a Comment