Wednesday 14 March 2012

Getting Wet in Anger

Well I've had my first pool dive, and I hated it, for about 15 minutes. For those of you who have never dived - it's really really weird, breathing underwater, through your mouth. I particularly struggled as I think I had too much weight. I was sinking with my jacket full of air. But once we were suppose to be on the bottom I got used to it and it was great. I need to get my own kit to suit me and it'll be brilliant.

I successfully completed all the tasks, eventually. You're not allowed to hold your breath, which is strange, and really difficult without a mouthpiece (you breath out, not in). Some of you will know I pride myself on being able to swim a length underwater (even here in a 33m pool) so I'm used to swimming around underwater holding my breath without a mouthpiece, but not breathing out (I've done that a few times and it's not good as it's difficult to get back to the surface).

I was particularly please I managed to clear a flooded mask. I didn't think I'd cope with that, but I did it. I had to do it for real when the instructor surfaced below the lifeguard (who was having a swim while waiting for us to go so he could lock up) and I laughed so hard my mask flooded, I was glad I had already practiced!

So many thanks to everyone at Devon Highways who contributed to my leaving present - Diving Tokens :)

p.s. Took the Scouts to Fairyland Flax Mill yesterday, got a few photos and will put them online when I find my camera. I think it's in the car...

No comments:

Post a Comment