Tuesday 27 March 2012

Swimming Again

Swimming with the Scouts again today, but this time off the wharf steps rather than the beach. It was (I think) the first time I've ever been swimming and unable to touch bottom. And I MEAN unable. The deep end of a pool I can touch bottom (ok, I can't breath at the same time, minor detail) here I couldn't touch bottom (ok so I could have done, but I may not have known, and certainly wouldn't be able to blog about it afterwards). I had always thought I would be scared to swim in deep water, but I wasn't (maybe having a dozen kids to watch meant I didn't find time to be scared).

I also hadn't ever really realised how much more buoyant sea water is. I float in sea water (I don't in fresh water, not even slightly).

As you may have guessed I had a whale of a time (pun intended), we swam from the steps (red dot RHS) to 'The Eye' a natural archway (red dot LHS, about 100m away at a guess) where all the scouts climbed out, but they seemed to take forever climbing out... When I eventually got organised and swam over as well I realised that when they climbed up the rocks a bit they seemed to lose their balance and fall back in! It was an epidemic, some seemed to keep their balance for a few minutes before falling, others just got up the rocks and immediately fell. I decided as a responsible adult to investigate, and bizarrely when I climbed out I fell right back in, after waiting my turn of course :)

Swimming back to the wharf I tried to get to the bottom, but way off. However it was great to be able to see the bottom, I'd seen it from the Krystal Clear, but the view was very restricted, now it was great! Using what appear to be superior underwater swimming skills I pretended to be a shark, brushing against legs, a couple of times before getting caught out. Back at the wharf the scouts tried to climb out, but kept on falling back in. I decided not to climb out and investigate as other responsible adults were around and they weren't falling in.

I really need to learn to Dive, and buy a snorkel so I can see underwater more :) and climb up the rocks a few more times (taking care to fall in at varying different places).

Tennis Next Week. I'm not so keen on Tennis, oh well - Rough with the Smooth.

1 comment:

  1. Right, Ive finally got round to leaving a comment - as you dont seem to read your emails any more...
    The pics look lovely and it looks like you are having a fab time. The diving sounds really good fun. Ive tried it before - I prefer snorkelling. I am pleased you are having a fab time. All the best sweets

    ReplyDelete