Wednesday 9 May 2012

A Long Walk in Longwood...

... jokes going wrong and a lack of mobile phones.

For years now I have been punishing Boys who don't listen by giving blatantly false information in response to questions asked for a second, third or fourth time. I am sure that other Youth Leaders do the same (even if you don't admit to it). I normally try to make sure that the answer is so obviously wrong that confusion doesn't arise.

Last night we did a post-box walk with Scouts. This walk was a there and back again at the far end of Longwood, quite a long way (by Road) from Jamestown. I had originally planned to meet the bus at Longwood, but a bad day and last minute meeting in Jamestown at 3pm meant I caught the bus up with the Scouts. On the way we were asked 'where are we going' and 'what are we doing' a few times, When one Boy, who knows when I'm winding him up and who I had already answered once, claimed forgetfulness and asked again I said "we're walking back to Jamestown" I repeated this answer a few times when questioned with a huge grin on my face (those of you who know me well probably hate that grin) and none of the Scouts contradicted me even though at least some of them must have known we weren't.

At this point I feel a need to defend myself against claims of cruelty. (Youth Leaders) Who hasn't, on a trip to Wales or Cornwall, admonished a member of your group for not bringing their passport? Or made the equally absurd claim that "we're walking home" from a huge distance away? or sent someone for 'a long weight' or 'left handed mallet' or ...

Now, here comes the problem, unbeknownst to me, or Paul (the Scout Leader), there is an old historic Route from Longwood to Jamestown. If you know the way it is probably quite walkable in a couple of hours (but it's too far to walk by road). We didn't know this, Simba, the Bus Driver, did and thinking there had been a change of plan duly waited for us at the appointed time, in Jamestown. We proceeded with our walk and were a little surprised the bus didn't show to pick us up, in Longwood.

Obviously we all made it home, eventually. The lack of mobile phones meant we had to walk a couple of miles to find a phone. Then work out a way to contact Simba sitting in his Bus (thank you St Helena Police). Then wait for Simba to drive up from Jamestown. I think I was about 2 hours later home than expected and must have been one of the last ones back.

A final note: it it's a credit to St Helena that nobody appeared to worry. Parents were phoned about an hour and a half after everyone was due home, with no apparent concern (I may find out different next week). We had one new boy who has only been here 5 weeks with Basil Read and at Scouts for the first time, I dropped him home, but his whole family was out. Figuring they may be looking for him we headed towards the Police Station (that's probably the first place you'd go to look for a missing child) and met his family on the way. They seemed perfectly happy that we were so late, although if I'm right then the police may have explained the situation to them so they had recovered by the time I met them.

Postscript: Many people on St Helena have nicknames, some are pretty much only known by their nicknames. Today someone, completely nothing to do with Scouts, called me the Pied Piper, I hope it doesn't stick.

1 comment:

  1. I like it. Although I must confess that I've also felt like the pied piper before now. Obviously the parents were very trusting.

    ReplyDelete