Friday 18 May 2012

One of the most remote inhabited places on the Planet.

Perspective is a wonderful thing. Einstein put it perfectly, I can't remember what he said, but it was perfect I'm sure (c'mon he was a Genius). Something to do with relativity anyway.

St Helena, before I arrived, was the second most remote inhabited place on the Planet, after Tristan da Chuna. By the time I arrived it was the most remote as apparently Tristan is easy to get by comparison.Well now I've been here a while I disagree. I think it's the rest of the world that's remote and difficult to get to, and apparently America is even Inhabited. Besides it's not difficult to get here, just slow, relaxed, peaceful. We label places as 'remote' without ever having been there, what is remote anyway? Compared to a small village in Scotland (lets call it Ballachulish) we have everything: multiple DIY sheds, a Theater, Supermarkets, Countryside (ok no Mountains), a Swimming Pool, Beach, Fishing Community, Yacht Club, Dive School, Police Station, Fire Station, Hospital, Community Centers, Schools, Care Home, Tourist Information Center, Cafes, Pubs, Nightclubs, Gift Shops, Farms, Petrol Stations, Museum, Quarrys, Vehicle Hire, Garages, Hotels, B&B's, Distillery, Churches, Other Faith Groups, Scouts, Guides, Historic Buildings, Camp Site, Courthouse, Jail, Library, Radio Stations all within a 10mile drive. Ballachulish has some, but not all, even adding in Glen Coe, Dura, etc.

You may say things take a long time to get here, but actually time is Relative (was that what Einstein said?). It may be 3 weeks between RMS arrivals from Cape Town, but I have to say it feels like the RMS is always either, here, about to arrive or only just gone. I forget I'm on an Island, I do 'normal' things and nothing seems too exotic or bizarre. I would liken St Helena to an English summer in a remote coastal village where it's really just too much effort to drive up the lane to the main road.

The only really odd thing about being so remote is the caravan at the end of the road, and that fact it took a couple of months to realise just how odd that was.

So what is remote?

No comments:

Post a Comment