Saturday 7 January 2012

7th Jan, Ascension

Writing this online, previous blogs all written offline and posted just now. Today I have internet, so not going out much, although this morning I went to the Museum, an old fort just down the road which happens to open Sat mornings only. Very interesting approach to H&S - basically a sign at the entrance says 'Welcome, you may die here because it's not very safe, don't complain to us', in the UK it would be closed with herras fencing all around and lots of keep out notices. Those of you who know my childish side will appreciate that I enjoyed going around exploring all the tunnels (yes you can get into them) and walking the battlements; just needs a youth club and a first aid kit J. There's a heritage centre as well with a lot of History about everything - people, war, telecommunications, boats, turtles, I strongly recommend a visit to anyone who finds themselves on Ascension on a Saturday morning as it's only £1 to get in!

I'm noticing that something is wrong with my Time on this site, I make it 16:33 on 7th Jan, but Blogspot doesn't, hmmm. Hope it doesn't confuse you too much.

Road Construction
I've been reading some reports about my new job and thinking about road construction. On Ascension there seem to be 2 standards: Road and 'urm roads?!?' Roads seem to be a standard UK type construction in AC10 or similar - Asphalt to the laymen and women - with a decent thickness of construction. The others seem to be about 6mm of MicroAsphalt (very thin Asphalt) on whatever was there anyway, often sand. This doesn't seem a good solution - and knowing there's no Asphalt on St Helena it makes me worry about what I'll find there where it's a wetter climate.

No comments:

Post a Comment