Saturday 28 January 2012

Photos and Old News: The Journey

Well, a fairly lazy day today. Paid my rent at the bank (yes the bank is open on a Saturday Morning!) and went for a drive, but left my camera at home :(

Talking of photo's I've updated my photo site (www.malpas.cwi.sh) with a selection of the best from all the photo's I've taken. 44 out of the 370 I've taken I think is a reasonable ratio - especially when you consider of my 50 turtle photos only 10 show anything and 7 are indistinct or really blurry! Don't worry in another 15 months I'll have my brother out here taking some decent photo's.

Ascension to St Helena, and why I didn't enjoy it.
Those of you that know me have probably, and may still be, wondering why I've moved to the South Atlantic when previously the furthest I've been is Venice and the Orkneys. Some of you will be wondering whether I've cracked and gone mad. Well I nearly did.

I didn't really let on on Ascension, but when I landed it was really strange, I was tired, in a different country and wasn't planning to go home for 11 months. Further, Ascension isn't terribly British, there is a heavy American Influence, and I'm none too fond of that (except their cars of course). To be blunt I was questioning my Sanity. As time wore on and Thursday got towards Sunday I was feeling a little better, but not a whole lot. I was lucky that I met John and Julie who were returning to St Helena where John was Director of Education for the next 4 months, they reassured me a lot and if it wasn't for them I may not have got on the RMS.

When the RMS arrived I was looking forward to the next step on the journey, it was strange thinking that there were still 60 hours until I'd arrive. That morning I was excited about the RMS and didn't really worry about the Job, worrying about security and customs and all the rest. I knew my luggage was ok as I'd dropped that off at about 7:30am, but it was still nerve racking. I also had though that the RMS docked at Ascension, I hadn't realised it anchored off shore and we have to go down narrow, wet, stone steps to get into a little boat before landing on a barge moored to the RMS and then judging the upanddown motion to climb the stairs. This photo is of the other end at St Helena, but it's the same basis - does it look safe to you?

Anyway I made it onto the RMS and met a lot of new people, I hadn't really seen anyone on Ascension, but suddenly there were 55 of us travelling to St Helena. Whilst I got some support from a few others who were returning to St Helena to work like I would, I kept on meeting Saints and they'd say 'Oh what are you doing on St Helena', so I'd say 'I'm the new Roads Manager' and then they'd say a variant on: 'Another One!' or 'You've got a job on your hands' or 'where did they find you?'. There was a unanimous feeling that the roads were shot and the impression given was that nobody lasted long doing roads.

The RMS was great, it was like a luxury Hotel, with entertainment and the best food ever. I think it was 4 meals a day, and Dinner was 5 courses (see www.malpas.cwi.sh/023.html). Unfortunately because of the Job (or was I actually sea sick?) I didn't enjoy the trip too much, despite the free coffee and entertainment.

As you can imagine by Wednesday Morning I was really questioning whether I'd done the right thing, if given the opportunity to return to my safe job in safe Devon I would probably have taken it. It didn't help it was a grey and miserable day, the first I'd seen since leaving England.

By Wednesday lunchtime it had brightened up - as you can see if you look at the photo's www.malpas.cwi.sh/032.html and the next one. My fleece was no longer necessary, but I had it on and it might be cold... I knew I had no choice and thanks to my new friends I made it through immigration, the trip to shore and Customs to see a lady holding a sign with my name on it. It was a relief to know I was expected. She led me outside and I recognised my new boss from the photo's I'd seen of him, what I didn't know was that although he'd never seen a photo of me, he'd also never met Clare from HR, so when I waved, he didn't wave back as he didn't know who I was.

David Thomson, my boss, was great - he was waiting with Delia who manages my house and Martin, the Water Manager, as a friendly face from the office. Clare found my hire car, David took me to the Police to register my licence so I could drive my car, and then he drove my car to the house (more on that another time maybe). But now I'm duplicating what I've already posted, so I'll stop and restart on another post when I get interesting again.

No comments:

Post a Comment