Saturday 7 January 2012

Giant Turtles

This is where I show off my Photography Skills!

It seems that of all the weeks I'm on Ascension, this is the week that the turtles lay their eggs, so I've just spent an hour on the beach watching them. I only saw one, although I saw the tracks of 2 coming out the water which looked fresh. The photo shows a vague dark splodge in the middle, this is the turtle. I did get some much closer photos, but they were darker and you couldn't see so much detail...

Glad I went down after dinner, I'd spent Thursday and Friday looking at the 'coracle's' in the restaurant thinking they were rather small, only today did I go to the museum and realised they were Turtle Shells!

Update:

It seems I'm wrong, looking at http://www.heritage.org.ac/HS22.htm Turtles come on shore for many months, so anyone visiting Ascension during the UK Winter/Spring stands a good chance of seeing some.

Also, at breakfast I took a closer look at the shells in the Restaurant, they're made of Plaster! Fooled me though.

No comments:

Post a Comment