Saturday 4 February 2012

Cruise Day and Highknoll Fort

Just realised I never 'published' this one... oh well it's a week late.

It's strange how the arrival of a cruise ship is a big thing, it's Sunday today and the bank is open, the Post Office is open, a lot of shops are open, there's a market and music playing in the street all because of the Cruise Ship parked in James Bay. Still it gives me a chance to pretend to be a tourist, so as soon as my camera battery recharges I'll update my photos site.

Highknoll Fort
This is a strange experience, much like the fort on Ascension. I walked up here on my first night alone, to discover it all barred off with big signs saying it was dangerous and falling down. Today it's open for people to just wander in and explore however they want.

As a fort it's at the top of a hill with huge walls and easily defended. Perfect really, with a few big guns it could easily defend against ships in James Bay. Inside there are lots of rooms without windows, but with only my camera providing light (and the battery dying) I didn't explore too far, I'll come back another day with a torch :)

No comments:

Post a Comment