Wednesday 8 February 2012

Snow? Scouts and a Late Night

Well I heard the forecast for snow and remembered my training, so I got out my Yellow Jacket, my Yellow Snow Shovel and found some salt/sand mix ready to treat the icy roads.

But it didn't seem very cold, so when the Scouts asked if they could use the spade to dig a hole in the beach I agreed. I took off my yellow jacket and went for a swim in the Sea. Boy, did that feel good, after a long day at work, then driving down into the heat of Jamestown, a nice swim was just what the doctor ordered.

After about an hours swim (no we didn't go out to the RMS) we returned to the Scout Hall for a continuation of lasts weeks activity. Last week we built Lego Rocket Cars in the Bloodhound theme. As some of you may know, Bloodhound is a Landspeed Record Car designed to go faster than the Ground-level Air Speed Record (see the animation '1000 mph race'), so after Lego Rocket Cars we had to see if we could do better with Rocket Paper Planes!

After some testing it became apparent that Paper Planes were significantly better than Rocket Planes, with the end result that the car would do about 3.5m, but wouldn't go over the next crack in the concrete floor. The winning plane managed an incredible 14.9m!

After Scouts I was feeling rather lazy, so a good meal at Anne's Place (the only restaurant that was open that I know where it is) I had a wander around Jamestown in the dark, even going 69 steps up Jacobs Ladder (before I gave up). There will be some photos on my photo page later, but they're not great. I really, really, really need a Tripod - will have to make that my mission this weekend!

The snow and ice never did come.

No comments:

Post a Comment