Saturday 4 February 2012

Weather and Money

Well I notice in Somerset it's been threatening snow (has it actually snowed?) and temperatures are hovering around 0C. The weather has deteriorated here as well, the worst rainstorm I've experienced since arriving started at about 11am, it must have lasted for a full 5 minutes and nearly soaked into my T shirt. Temperature's today are cooler, I haven't got all my windows open, and if it drops any further I may have to find my fleece.

I'm still struggling to come to terms with money here. It's been 13 years since I really used cash or 'went to the bank'. But here there are no cards and no online banking. If it was easier to get off the island (and then change money into a usable currency) this would be a thief's paradise as everyone must be carrying a huge wedge of cash every time they go shopping. I'm used to doing my accounts using online banking and credit cards to track what I spend. Cash being only about £10-20 a month. Here everything is cash. I have no idea how much I have spent on food since arriving, because I only know how much cash I've spent, and I've bought Diesel, Food, Meals Out, Drinks, Boat Trips... and you don't always get receipts...

No comments:

Post a Comment