Sunday 26 February 2012

Sunday at Longwood

Today I went to Longwood School Family Farmyard Funday, much like school Fete's the world over I guess (does every school have a Farm? I don't Remember one when I was 10). For logistical and Animal Welfare reasons the Agricultural competition didn't involve trucking livestock in from all over the island - instead the judges went for a Drive last week (now that seems a whole lot more sensible - why don't they do that in Devon? then they could make the County Show a much smaller event with less Traffic...) Like most school Fetes there wasn't much for a grown adult to do (I had to drive home so the bar was out, and they wouldn't let me on the bouncy castle). So I took some photos and came home after a couple of hours.

On the way to Longwood I went down Ladder Hill (yes I took the scenic route) as there was no Traffic about I stopped, got out and had a good look at the road - if any of you are thinking these Cliffs are unstable then you're probably right, but the road itself is in good condition which surprised me, I had rather assumed it would be slowly sliding down the hill... I had a chat with a few guys who were sitting by the road having their lunch, still no Traffic, quite nice and quiet really considering it's the busiest road on Island. One of them kindly moved their truck as it was blocking the road to let me pass, but I had to move the Road Closed sign at the far end myself (and put it back again once I'd gone past).

Reading the paper this morning I discovered there had been a Pancake Race at Longwood last Tuesday, so I was only third in a Regional Race, not a National, phew the stress was really starting to get to me.

I forgot to mention that on Tuesday there had been a night-time Carnival after the pancake Race. Bridgwater Carnival eat you heart out, attendance was huge and about 1% of the population was involved, with the 2 'floats'! Perhaps next time there's a Carnival I'll have to get the Scouts organised and show them how it's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment