Saturday 14 April 2012

Mobile Phones

Today I got up early and was at the post office just after they opened at 9am. And my new goggles had arrived  -Thanks Mum :) (I also got the postcard). Stepping out the post office I reached for my mobile to text to say thanks, and it wasn't there. After a moments panic that I'd lost it, I remembered I live on St Helena and mobiles haven't been invented yet. After my swim I went for breakfast, and whilst waiting for it to be cooked I again reached for my phone...

It took me a good few weeks to get used to not having a mobile, especially as every 5 minutes I'd hear the ringtone (my imagination, I think) but I haven't noticed it for a month or more so odd that twice in one morning I went to use it.

I still read the BBC News website (it's strange to see adverts on the BBC) and I wonder whether all this mobile communication is a good idea. I miss good internet connectivity and it is worrying that mobile phones aren't there for emergencies (although we have a radio system with the same coverage problems you get in the Scottish Highlands), but it's relaxing to not have the constant communication that I had in the UK. It makes me wonder whether when I return to the UK I'll change my phone back to contract and/or get one of the new thought controlled phones which project video conferencing directly into your brain (they'll be available by the time I get back I'm sure)...

No comments:

Post a Comment