Saturday 28 April 2012

Security

When I was on Ascension I went Swimming in English Bay (see post). Before Swimming I hid all my valuables (money) in my Hotel Room, I hid my wallet, watch and hotel room key in the car, and hid the hire car key in my bag, which stayed on the beach, but never left my sight. Having just left the UK and being in a UK frame of mind I felt this was the most I could do, but was still worried about security.

Today I went for a dive. Sorting out all the kit at the Dive Shed I dumped my shorts in the passenger footwell of the car, and my bag on the seat. In my shorts pocket were my car keys, house keys, wallet (with bank details), money... As the car keys were in the car, obviously the car wasn't locked. It didn't even cross my mind to be worried until late this afternoon - next time I'll be a little more security conscious, but to be fair I only need to worry because I've told the world what my car looks like, where I live/work and that I keep my keys and bank details in my unlocked car. If it weren't for this post there'd be no problem!

Why is it that here I can quite happily trust that my car won't be emptied while I leave it unlocked and unattended, but elsewhere in the world paranoia leads the way. I know my car won't be stolen, because it would be found and the culprit arrested pretty quickly. But all my stuff could have gone walkies. Goodness knows enough of my friends/family in the UK have had locked cars broken into on the off chance, with nothing of value being taken, but the contents strewn all over.

What is the world coming to? I hope it never comes here.

No comments:

Post a Comment